Leche Flan is one of the most favorite Dessert of Filipinos, A Filipino recipe with only just a few ingredients to prepare, An evaporated milk, condensed milk, eggs, and caramel syrup, you can now start to make your own Leche Flan. Making your first Leche Flan will be a trial and error because of the process on how to make it, but once you perfect it, you can make your own Leche Flan with different Shapes, different flavors, and different in sugar levels.
Leche Flan Recipe
Preparation time: 30 minutes || Estimated cooking time: 1 hour
Leche Flan Ingredients:
- 1 can (390g) evaporated milk
- 1 can (390g) condensed milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or lemon essence
For the caramel:
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
Leche Flan Cooking Instructions:
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar & water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelize.
- Pour the caramelized sugar into aluminum moulds – you can use any shape: oval, round or square. Spread the caramel on the bottom of the moulds.
- Mix well the evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and vanilla by hand or blender.
- Gently pour the mixture on top of the caramel on the aluminum moulds. Fill the moulds to about 1 to 1 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover moulds individually with aluminum foil.
- Steam for about 20 minutes (the traditional way to make Leche Flan is by open-air steaming on either an open cooking fire or stove top) OR
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Before baking the Leche Flan, place the moulds on a larger baking pan half filled with very hot water. Pre-heat oven to about 370 degrees before baking.
- Let it cool then refrigerate.
- To serve: run a thin knife around the edges of the mould to loosen the Leche Flan. Place a platter on top of the mould and quickly turn upside down to position the golden brown caramel on top.
Please take note:
- You can tell when the Leche Flan is cooked by inserting a knife -if it comes out clean, it is cooked.