Gingivitis is a result of bacteria in the gums, and it causes gum disease. So you should start treating it in the early stage.
The symptoms of gingivitis are: bleeding around the gums, swollen gums, receding gums, and inflammation of the gums.
Here are some remedies of how you can treat early stage gingivitis at home.
Prepare a solution of salt and water to swish. The salt will kill the bacteria by changing the pH level in your mouth. This will also reduce the swelling.
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 glass lukewarm water or mustard oil
- Put the salt into a glass with water and stir well. Swish your mouth with this 2-3 times a day.
- Make a paste of salt and a few drops of mustard oil. Put the paste on your gum for 3 minutes. Repeat this 3 times a day.
Baking soda is an ingredient we always have at home. It balances the pH levels in the mouth.
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1-2 cups warm water
- Put coconut or sesame oil your mouth, and swish. Continue for 10 minutes and spit out. Rinse out your mouth with warm water.’
Lemon juice is rich with vitamin C and it is anti-inflammatory.
- 1 squeezed lemon
- 1 glass of warm water
- Mix the water and the lemon and rinse your mouth on a daily basis.
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties so it is good for treating gingivitis.
- Aloe vera gel
- Scrape out the gel of a leaf of aloe vera
- Rub the gel on your gums
Clove oil has been used for treating oral infections since the old times.
- 3-5 drops clove oil
- Cotton swab
- Pour few drops of clove oil into a cotton swab. Hold it against the affected gum for a few minutes. You can also chew a clove everyday to get rid of teeth and gum disease.
Curcumin is consisted in the turmeric which is known for its anti-inflammatory effect.
- 4 tablespoons Turmeric
- 8 tablespoons of Neem powder
- ¼ tablespoon Alum powder
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Store it in an air-tight container.
- When you are ready to use it, rub a moderate amount on your gum and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water thereafter. Do this 2 times daily for best results
They are an excellent source of guaijaverin, an anti plaque agent.
- 5 guava leaves
- 2 cups of water
- Bring a cup of water to boil. Add guava leaves into the water.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer until half the water evaporates.
- Strain and let cool.
- Rinse your mouth with the strained water 2 -3 times daily.
- Alternatively, you can chew clean guava leaves for a few minutes. Spit it out and rinse mouth with warm water. OR crush guava leaves and rub the resulting paste on the inflamed gum.
You can also sage and peppermint to treat gingivitis. They are both anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. They help in reducing gum swelling and killing the bacteria responsible for gingivitis.
- 1 tablespoon of sage or peppermint
- 1 cup water
- Bring a cup of water to boil, add sage herb into it.
- Turn heat to low and allow it to simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool down. Use the resulting water to rinse your mouth.
Here is what you can do to prevent gingivitis
- Brush your teeth every day
- Floss everyday
- Visit the dentist on a regular basis
- Use mouthwash every day
- Change your toothbrush every three months.
- Stop smoking
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Take more vitamin C
- Avoid sugary foods